Thursday, February 19, 2009

VALENTINE LOVES

We tried to make V-day a day of fun for Reags and tried a few things out that will hopefully develop into new family traditions. I'd rather make the "silly" holidays something for the kids to look forward to.

A HEARTY BREAKFAST


I made up some heart-shaped cinnamon rolls... made the dough and shaped them the day before and let them rise and bake on Valentines Day morning. They didn't rise the second time as well as I'd hoped, but I can always work out the kinks for next year. They were surprisingly easy to make.

No... I didn't come up with this idea myself. In fact, I stole it from this gourmet mom here.


You've got to have a red drink on Valentines Day right? So to go with our breakfast I made Blood Orange Juice... if anyone knows where they can buy a bottled or concentrated version let me know! I was told that Trader Joe's carried it, but I couldn't find it... so instead I bought 4 pounds of blood oranges and juiced them myself. I doubt that I'll have the commitment to do that every year, but it was a fun experiment at least.


To get Reags excited for the day, we made Valentines for our families. She mainly just stuck stickers on some cute card stock and them scribbled with some pink crayons, but she had a blast. I'm excited for when she can come up with some card-making ideas on her own. She loved the idea of giving the cards... but was stoked about getting some as well.


We put up some streamers outside Reagan's door so she'd have a constant reminder that it was a special day. She thought it was fun to run through them.

If anyone else has any fun ways to celebrate with the family on Valentines Day, let us know. But please... keep whatever you do with your significant other under wraps! ;)

2 comments:

  1. how fun. i love the ideas! look at you juicing oranges and all. we just did sugar cookies, finger painted cards, and a little "heart" hunt for a valentines present. i love valentines. i like coming up with fun things to do for holidays. i love the name of the blog. you made me smile. i hadn't thought of that for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I am glad you started this blog, I will post shortly, I will be home in a week and will put a few things up!

    ReplyDelete