Just thought I'd throw this out there. Does anyone have good advice on what to do when your 3 1/2 yr. old throws temper tantrums? I feel like I've tried everything. Ignoring, time out, swearing:) Nothing seems to work. Help!
Holls(a.k.a. boobsweat) since brooklin brought up the brick bench i thought I'd reminisce.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have the same problem with our 3 1/2 year old! My husband has been trying something new. Its only semi successful, but it is an idea. When there is hitting or not nice words, then he tells her that we don't do those things in our home. She goes in the backyard until she is ready to be nice.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I do is put myself in time out. It sounds weird, but I just tell her in a calm voice that mom is going in time out because it hurts my ears when she screams. She can have her tantrum in the hallway and I'm out of the danger zone! Much easier than trying to carry a kicking almost 4 year old to time out and much more effective. She hates that I'm not right there making a big deal out of it. When she is calm and uses her nice words, then we can play together.
It seems like nothing works forever. I have to keep changing up what I do and different things are affective at different times.
Good luck! Please share if you come across any good ideas!!!
Hey, Katie thanks for your advice! I like the backyard idea. I have also tried leaving and putting myself in timeout. It definately works better than the other methods but she does still scream for another good 15 minutes. ahhh!
ReplyDelete