Monday, October 19, 2009

PICK UP FAIRY

If you're like me.... you get sick of cleaning up after people-- especially when you know they are capable of doing it themselves. I'm not asking for spic and span... just take the toys off my floor and dump them in the toy buckets!! I got this idea from an article I read in Family Circle... maybe it was Parents magazine.

THE PICK-UP FAIRY

At the end of the day when play-time is over and you're winding down for bed, you probably ask your sweet children to help clean up the messes they made throughout the day. If your kids willingly help.... well, then I hate you!

We told Reagan about the "pick-up fairy" (whom she calls the 'hiccup fairy'). This fairy comes to the house while we're sleeping and picks up all the toys that weren't put away and she takes them to her house. In a few weeks when the pick-up fairy is done playing with her found toys, she might bring the toys back if the little owners are being good children.

So far, the mere threat of one of her toys being swiped by the fairy in the night has motivated her enough to clean up at the end of the day. Sometimes it's even a game to hide the toys from the pick-up fairy. I love it-- I wake up in the morning to a clutter-free house in the morning-- can you say BLISS?

ps-- I also believe this trick can work on husbands. I do it sometimes to Brian as a joke... but with a hint of seriousness. Example: He often comes home from work and takes off his dress shoes, leaving them in the entryway. If they're still there the next morning after he leaves for work with a different pair of shoes on, I'll hide the clutter-shoes. I have a great time watching him look for them later in the week. HEE HEE.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Actually I could use it more for my husband than my children. But you said it works - we will give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea, i'll have to try it, my kids scream when it's clean up time. love that you try it on brian

    ReplyDelete